Re: Sendmail and resent- headers

1997-04-17 12:11:00
and everybody gets it type of thing.  If they want to reply to the actual
author as an individual, it is there in the headers (FROM), and they can
manually direct the reply - since a private reply is less frequently

The problem is, that's not entirely true.

The Reply-To header used to redirect mail to the correct address if, for
whatever reason, the From: header is incorrect.  If you go randomly
stripping the Reply-To header off of mail and replace it with your own,
then you may have made it difficult to communicate with the sender of the
message.

I often have my Reply-To address set explicitly, and depending on where I
*send* mail from, if you were to reply to the From: header I might not see
the mail for quite a while.

-- Lars

---
Lars Kellogg-Stedman * lars(_at_)bu(_dot_)edu * (617)353-8277
Office of Information Technology, Boston University