Sendmail and resent- headers

1997-04-16 05:53:00

I've got a simple remailer script I'm using in Procmail to resend messages
posted by anyone from a group out to other members of the group.  The
resending is working fine, but folks using the Pegasus mailer complain that
they don't see the original author's address in their message summary
window, and while quoted replies show the author's name, it apparently
shows the reply-to address (the list) for the address instead of the
authors address.

In attempting to determine what the possible cause of this is, I noted that
the sendmail config on my host is apparently automatically inserting
Resent-From and Resent-Date headers -- because *I* am not (certainly not
the Date).  How can I control the addition or removal of these headers
(I've tried -IResent-From: in the main formail operation -- and originally,
I did have a Resent-From: listname(_at_)domain header present -- I just wanted
to remove it for testing, which is when I realized that I couldn't).

Also, one thing that struck me was that Pegasus (which I don't use) might
be scanning the header and using the LAST "from-like" header to identify
the author, rather than following the precedence set in RFC822.  Does
anyone have more intimate knowledge of how this app might be handling the
headers?

Thanks.

Below is the whole of the remailer script:

listaddr=listname(_at_)domain
listowner=listname-owner(_at_)domain
listdist=$LISTDIR/listname
sendmailOPT=" -oem -odb -oi -F$listaddr "

:1 c: $TEMP/IXA$LOCKEXT
* ^TOlistname(_at_)domain
|gzip -9fc>>$MAILDIR/listname.gz

:0 A Wh
* $!^X-Loop: $listaddr
* !^Precedence:.*junk|^FROM_MAILER
METOO=  | formail -X"From " -xFrom: -xReply-To: -xSender: -xResent-From: \
            -xResent-Reply-To: -xResent-Sender:

:0 A wfh
| formail -b -IReturn-Receipt-To: -IErrors-To: \
   -I"Return-Path: \<listname-owner(_at_)domain\>" \
   -iX-Envelope-To: -iX-Envelope-From: \
   -I"Precedence: list" -I"Resent-Sender: listname-owner(_at_)domain" \
   -a"X-Loop: listname(_at_)domain" \
   -I"Reply-To: listname(_at_)domain" \
   -a"Subject: Unidentified subject!" \
   -a"X-Mailing-List: <listname(_at_)domain>"

:0 Aw
! $sendmailOPT `cat $listdist`