Re: Q: Delete letter after forwarded copy is *received*?

1997-04-18 15:38:00
Andy Rother <rother(_at_)ee(_dot_)pdx(_dot_)edu> writes:

I want to keep a copy of each forwarded message.  But after I am sure the
forwarded message has been *received* I want to delete the unforwarded copy in
my home location.

I am looking for a recipe that will keep a backup copy of each forwarded
message in the home directory, then delete this backup copy after the forwarded
message has truly been received.

There is currently no dependable way to tell whether or not an email
message has been successfully delivered.  If by "received" you mean
"read", then not only do you have no paddle, but you have no canoe,
to maul a cliche.  If your site and the destination site are both
running at least sendmail V8.7, then you can try using DSNs (delivery
status notifications), but I don't know of any tools for parsing or
otherwise working with DSNs.

Philip Guenther