Re: 775 mail spool and "Bypassed locking"

1997-04-19 07:45:00
On Fri, 18 Apr 1997, David W. Tamkin wrote:

dattier> I think Roderick is in the same situation as many of the rest
dattier> of us.  If his sysadmins cannot be cajoled or blackmailed into
dattier> chmodding the mail spool to 1777, then he'll have to choose
dattier> either (1) naming a lockfile somewhere under his $HOME for
dattier> saves to $DEFAULT (and praying that no other utility tries to
dattier> get a lock on /var/mail/roderick at the same time as procmail)
dattier> or (2) forswearing /var/mail/roderick and assigning DEFAULT a
dattier> value under his $HOME, where the folder and the .lock file will
dattier> both be creatable and removable under his permissions as a
dattier> user.

Or (3) using an MUA that honors kernel locks as well as .lock files,
such as pine.  This is our local approach, although we're probably about
to adopt the 1777 convention.

Regards,
--
   Rick Troxel     Rick_Troxel(_at_)nih(_dot_)gov
rick(_at_)helix(_dot_)nih(_dot_)gov