Re: 775 mail spool and "Bypassed locking"

1997-04-21 12:20:00
On Fri, 18 Apr 1997 18:44:05 -0500 (CDT), dattier(_at_)wwa(_dot_)com (David W.
Tamkin) said:

Doesn't procmail also give up its setuid and setgid privileges as soon
as it reads a user's rcfile?

The FAQ says that, but I don't think it's entirely true.  setids() goes
out of its way to leave its saved setgid in place so it can toggle back
to group mail later.

(As a sanity check I tried it without a ~/.procmailrc at all, and
procmail still delivered mail over an existing .lock file.)

I think Roderick is in the same situation as many of the rest of us.
If his sysadmins cannot be cajoled or blackmailed into chmodding the
mail spool to 1777, [...]

I am the sysadmin, actually.  I'm just trying to get procmail to get
along with the existing mail system.  Fixing procmail to work with the
standard system mail setup is more attractive than replacing all of the
MUAs on the system (particularly since some are supplied by the vendor).

I'd rather not just make the mail spool mode 1777 to make procmail happy
because that would be ignoring the real problem.  Once I get this
working I'm going to start using it heavily, I need to be able to trust
it.

--
Roderick Schertler
roderick(_at_)argon(_dot_)org