Re: bogus From's act as new message

1997-04-21 13:20:00

It worked...   Thanks again, Philip.

back to filtering...

--

-tim driscoll
tdriscol(_at_)baynetworks(_dot_)com

On Mon, 21 Apr 1997, Philip Guenther wrote:

Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 13:08:28 -0500
From: Philip Guenther <guenther(_at_)gac(_dot_)edu>
To: Timothy Driscoll <tdriscol(_at_)BayNetworks(_dot_)COM>
Cc: procmail(_at_)Informatik(_dot_)RWTH-Aachen(_dot_)DE
Subject: Re: bogus From's act as new message

Timothy Driscoll <tdriscol(_at_)BayNetworks(_dot_)COM> writes:
I recently 'upgraded' from Pine 3.91 to 3.96 and noticed the following
annoying problem.  (I also started using procmail/formail at the same
time)

If I were to send myself email with the word "From " in the message text
in column 1, it appears as if I sent two messages according to the
email notification application - xfaces.    Pine does not treat it as a
new message so this is only a slight annoyance.

On a slightly higher annoyance level is when certain emailers forward
a message to me and Pine catches the "From " message header like this:

   From tdrisco1(_at_)baynetworks(_dot_)com Mon Apr 21 10:40:35 1997

And the message is split into two messages.

Is there a procmail/formail recipe that could fix this?   Pine can be
configured to escape the leading From's on mail saved to other folders but
not mail arriving in my INBOX.

Make sure procmail is being invoked with the -Y flag.  It will then
escape 'From ' at the beginning of lines in the body.

Philip Guenther