Recipe Tweaking...

1997-04-28 02:39:00

Here's the recipe:

# ---------------------------------------------------------
# GLOBENET MISMAIL REPLIES
# ------------------------
# This script returns the sender's original message below the
# autobot form letter message (rtngent.txt), appends the sender's
# e-mail address to the (rtngnet.log) file, and finally files a
# copy of the sender's original message in folder (Abumgnet.IN).
# Special thanks to Stephen, David, Hal, Soren & others for help.
:0 hc
* !^FROM_DAEMON
* !^TOeric(_at_)globenet\(_dot_)com
* ^TO(_dot_)*(_at_)globenet\(_dot_)com
{
:0 fh
| formail -r -A"Precedence: junk" \
   -I"From: Globenet Mailbounce <mailbummer(_at_)globenet\(_dot_)com>" \
   -I"Subject: Bummer Mail Address At Globenet" \
   -A"X-Loop: eric(_at_)garlic\(_dot_)com" ; cat $HOME/procmail/rtngnet.txt

:0
| $SENDMAIL -oi -t
}

:0 c:
* !^TOeric(_at_)globenet\(_dot_)com
* ^TO(_dot_)*(_at_)globenet\(_dot_)com
| formail -rtzxTo: >> $HOME/procmail/rtngnet.log

:0 a:
Abumgnet.IN
===========

1. I've retweaked it a bit to only allow mail to: eric(_at_)globenet(_dot_)com
   while anyothernames(_at_)globenet(_dot_)com get the mail returned with a form
   message.  The problem has been a flood of bogus mailings to the domain
   name, but I'd like to also have the autoreply go to anyone Cc'd in
   the original message (at the same time).  Not sure how to do this.

2. Since I modified this from the original template, there's no need to
   save a copy as the final stroke, but rather /dev/null it.  Dumb
   question, I guess, but if I stick /dev/null at the end without some
   kind of {braces}, will that possibly cause me to lose the mail I
   want to go to "eric(_at_)globenet(_dot_)com"?  Since I have several domain
   names all flowing into one mailbox, I'd hate to inadvertently axe
   any of my other legit mail.

3. If I want to send a copy to a 3rd party (like in the case of abuses),
   can I stick (example) !abuse(_at_)somewhere(_dot_)com  as the 6th line from
the
   start of the recipe without it affecting the rest of the stuff?
   Ooops...that won't do it, since I need the rtngnet.txt file to
   go along as the first part of the message just as with the autoreply.
   Hmmm...would another recipe segment *after* the "cat" line and
   before the $SENDMAIL -oi -t  work...like:

          :0 c:
          !abuse(_at_)somewhere(_dot_)com     (or... can I stick it at:)

          :0
          !abuse(_at_)somewhere(_dot_)com
          | $SENDMAIL -oi -t       (in the master recipe at top?)

4. There has been a rash of mail forgery taking place with some of my
   other domain names...junk mailings and postings to kinky newsgroups
   *and* legit mailing lists. As a result, I get "hate" mail sent to me
   since people think I'm the weirdo. I am also the recipient...too much,
   of bogus/forged registrations involving several of my domain names.

   Is there a tidy way to tweak my template recipe to cull the "From:" or
   "from" domain name (master, not including machine names or autobot
   send-only registrar names) AND the .com, .net, .org, etc. ... or the
   mailing-list name? Then, send a copy (with the auto-explanation text
   recipe above and request to be removed) to either (or both) webmaster &
   postmaster there? I guess I'll have to be sure and use:

          * !^TOalegitname(_at_)mydomain\(_dot_)com
          * !^TOblegitname(_at_)mydomain\(_dot_)com
          * !^TOclegitname(_at_)mydomain\(_dot_)com

   inserts so I don't axe any legit registrations that I have made.  In
   the case of the known sites I don't want, then I assume I can use:

          * ^From:(_dot_)*(_at_)unwanted\(_dot_)com

   and use the autoreply recipe processes to request deletion of the bogus
   registrations. This seems to make sense, if the above can be tweaked up
   to add the postmaster/webmaster addresses AND the reply text to the
   top part of any bogus registration mail.

Thank you *very* much for any assistance.  Hopefully, others can benefit
from this as well.

Eric