Re[2]: Pserving FROM when forwarding

1997-04-28 13:02:00
     Thanks for the explanation. I guess my question becomes, what would my
     recipe (below) look like if it nukes the FROM field?

     The system that is using the FROM field instead of FROM: is Lotus'
     Message Switch (AKA: LMS, EMX, SoftSwitch, which is also broken in
     other ways). I don't know _why_ it uses it, but for example...this
     message that you sent, appears to be from
awillis(_at_)shell3(_dot_)ba(_dot_)best(_dot_)com
     instead of guenther(_at_)gac(_dot_)edu

     FROM=`formail -rtxTo:`
     :0
     *^TOawillis
     | formail -i"To:alex_willis(_at_)hphc(_dot_)org" \
     -i"From: $FROM" | $SENDMAIL -oi -t

     :0
     *^TOwalkman
     | formail -i"To:walkman(_at_)shell4(_dot_)ba(_dot_)best(_dot_)com" \
     -i"From: $FROM" | $SENDMAIL -oi -t

Subject: Re: Pserving FROM when forwarding
Author:  awillis(_at_)shell3(_dot_)ba(_dot_)best(_dot_)com at INTERNET
Date:    4/28/97 1:23 PM

Alex Willis <awillis(_at_)bostonbands(_dot_)com> writes:
The recipe below successfully preserves the FROM: field when
forwarding, but does not preserve the FROM (no colon) field...so the
process only works  for those destination systems that use the FROM:
field rather than the FROM field.

The 'From ' field contains the envelope sender address.  When you're
forwarding email, you're supposed to change the envelope sender to be
your address, so that if an error occurs (the forwarded message
bounces) *you'll* get the error, not the innocent original party who
can do nothing about it.

Which destination systems are using the 'From ' address and for what
purposes?  I know that Anastasios Kotsikonas's "listproc" does this,
but it's broken in a multitude of other ways (for example, it doesn't
even handle wrapped header lines!), so the solution to that problem is
to nuke it.

Philip Guenther