Re: Re[2]: Pserving FROM when forwarding

1997-04-29 01:40:00

Alex_Willis(_at_)hphc(_dot_)org writes:
    Thanks for the explanation. I guess my question becomes, what would my
    recipe (below) look like if it nukes the FROM field?

    The system that is using the FROM field instead of FROM: is Lotus'
    Message Switch (AKA: LMS, EMX, SoftSwitch, which is also broken in
    other ways). I don't know _why_ it uses it, but for example...this
    message that you sent, appears to be from
awillis(_at_)shell3(_dot_)ba(_dot_)best(_dot_)com
    instead of guenther(_at_)gac(_dot_)edu

Philip Guenter writes:
      # Use de Morgan's laws to get a shortcircuted 'OR' operation here.
      :0
      * ! ^Return-Path: *\/[^ ]+
      * ! ^From *\/[^ ]+
                 ^^
I have been corrected on this a few times myself, so I find it
necessary to react. If there is no From_ line, then this line will
match on the From: line, and then $MATCH will contain only the colon.

Therefore, I think it's safer to write:

Off course, depending on your setup, this might not be needed.

--
Guy Geens <ggeens(_at_)iname(_dot_)com>
Home Page: http://www.elis.rug.ac.be/~ggeens