Re: using procmail to handle .forward files?

1997-04-30 21:12:00
David Lowe <dlowe(_at_)sirius(_dot_)com> writes:
I'm looking into using procmail as my local mail delivery agent.  The main
reason is that I would like to restrict off-site users from 'bouncing'
mail off our servers without breaking the functionality of .forward files.

I was wondering if anyone had had any luck at getting procmail, rather
than sendmail, to handle users' .forward files.  I can get rudimentary
(just forward if the file contains a single valid address)  support using:

This sounds very much like you're using sendmail's check_* rulesets to
prevent off-site users from sending to off-site users, and have found
that your rules reject off-site users trying to mail to on-site
addresses that forward to off-site.  The solution to this is to compare
${client_addr} to "0", as that what it will be set to during alias
expansion.  For example, the check_rcpt ruleset in use here says (in
part):

# Not a local rcpt, check the client address
R$*                     $: $(dequote "" $&{client_addr} $)
R138.236.$-.$-          $@ OK                           local
R127.0.0.1              $@ OK                           local
R0                      $@ OK                           alias expansion

If I've mis-read your reasons for doing this, then perhaps you could
explain _why_ you would do this, as I have a strong suspicion that
there's a better way to do this.

Philip Guenther