System Mailbox for Procmail-3.11pre7 (NOT in FAQ)

1997-05-04 12:32:00
Hi all-

        This is not 100% on topic for the qmail list, but maybe someone has
run into this problem. I've tried most permutations w/o success.

        I run qmail and thus need to compile procmail-3.11pre7 to deliver
to "$HOME/Mailbox". Under versions up to pre4, this was easy, I just
changed the define for SYSTEM_MBOX in config.h to "$HOME/Mailbox" as set
forth in the qmail-FAQ and it worked w/o fail, producing "Your System
Mailbox=$HOME/Mailbox."

        I have not been able to accomplish this since pre-4. I understand
that this customization was moved out of config.h to src/authenticate.c. In
authenticate.c, I thought all that was necessary was to uncomment:

/*#define MAILSPOOLHOME "/.mail"        */

and change it to

#define MAILSPOOLHOME   "$HOME/Mailbox"

        The above change resulted in (when running "procmail -v on the new
version), a system mailbox of /root$HOME/Mailbox. Obviously this was not
it. So I tried

#define MAILSPOOLHOME   "$USER/Mailbox"

resulting in a system mailbox of /root$USER/Mailbox.

        I also tried changing the define to just "/Mailbox", but that
resulted a system mailbox of /root/Mailbox. In addition, the define
"/$HOME/Mailbox" resulted in /root/$HOME/Mailbox, "$LOGNAME/Mailbox"
resulted in /root/$LOGNAME/Mailbox and any attempt to escape the "$" (like
"\$HOME/Mailbox") resulted in the program not compiling.

        Can anyone kindly point out the syntax error I am making or how to
stop the program from appending the /root/ directory onto the MAILSPOOLHOME
define. Is procmail-3.11pre7 incapable of delivery to $HOME/Mailbox,
something I find hard to believe? There are some situations where it
critical for me to run qmail and procmail, like where I use SmartList to
make digests from my ezmlm based regular lists.

        All thoughts/suggestions very appreciated. (Stephen, are you out
there?) :-)

        Thanks,

        Fred
Fred B. Ringel                --      Rivertown.Net Internet Access
Systems Administrator         --      Voice/Fax/Support: +1.914.478.2885
PGP- Public Key               --      email:
fredr-pgpkey(_at_)joshua(_dot_)rivertown(_dot_)net
        Although in theory, there's no difference between
        theory and practice, in practice, there is.