Re: Hacking stdin? (Why doesn't this filter do what I expect)

1997-05-08 10:54:00
era eriksson <reriksso(_at_)cc(_dot_)helsinki(_dot_)fi> writes:
On Thu, 8 May 1997 00:55:03 -0400 (EDT),
Robert Nicholson <steffi2(_at_)dgs(_dot_)dgsys(_dot_)com> wrote:
                | $FORMAIL -rtz \
<...>
                        -I 'Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="--
next item --"' ;\

BTW, your MIME encoding looks like it would need fixing. Perhaps you
would be better off writing this as a metasend script (not sure if
that program is quite up to it) or whatever. (The only real problem I
saw was that the closing delimiter should be "-- next item ----" but
anyhow, personally, I wouldn't trust myself to do these things by
hand. :-)

The delimiter given in the Content-Type: header does *not* include the
leading '--' put on its uses, nor the trailing '--' put on the last
usage.  For example, a message might look like:

Random-Headers: here

This is a MIME message.  Get with it, man!

--=_some random text

(Implicitly typed text/plain content ending with a *single*
EOL, *not* a blank line.  See rfc2045 for details.)
yadah yadah yadah yadah yadah yadah yadah yadah yadah yadah
yadah yadah yadah yadah yadah yadah yadah yadah yadah yadah
yadah yadah yadah yadah yadah yadah yadah yadah yadah yadah
yadah yadah yadah yadah yadah yadah yadah yadah yadah yadah

--=_some random text

--=_some random text--

Note that including "=_" in the boundary is recommended to avoid any
possibility of the boundary occurring by chance in quoted-printable or
base64 encoded body parts.

Philip Guenther