Re: Duplicates messages

1997-05-08 19:54:00
 Does anybody know how to remove duplicates messages from a mail-file
 using procmail or another mail filter ?

That depends on how you detect duplicates.  I use the following filter; it
detects duplicate messages based on the Message-ID header.  I send
duplicates to a special folder, which is cleaned out regularly via a cron
job.  I've never had a problem with it.

DUPE_DEST=dupes/.               # For duplicate messages

IDCACHE_LEN=8192                        # Size of message ID cache
IDCACHE_FILE=$HOME/.idcache             # message ID cache file

:0h
FROM=|$FORMAIL -rtz -x "To:"

LOCKFILE=$IDCACHE_FILE.lock

:0H
{
        LOG="dupecheck: discarded $MESSAGEID from $FROM
"
        :0
        $DUPE_DEST
}

LOCKFILE

---
Lars Kellogg-Stedman * lars(_at_)bu(_dot_)edu * (617)353-8277
Office of Information Technology, Boston University