Re: VM and Procmail

1997-05-16 04:18:00
Kerry Thompson writes on 16 May 1997 at 08:56:21
Ray Curtis writes:

I am trying to get VM to use procmail as a filter and am having
[...]
   :0:
   * ^TOinfo-vm
   vm-in
[...]
      ("vm" "~/Mail/vm-in" "~/Mail/vm.CRASH")

I've never been able to get things working *exactly* like I want them.

I use "procmail" to sort incoming mail into various folders in a
"toread" directory
    :0:
    * ^TOinfo-vm
    toread/info-vm
In VM, I can type "v toread <SPC>" and let Emacs' file-completion show
me all the folders that have new messages put there by procmail.
Things that I want to save away, I re-file in other folders.

Since some of the procmail recipes are a bit more complicated, and
things are fairly dynamic both with my VM and .procmail
configurations, I don't want to maintain essentially two lists of
potential folders in my "toread" directory.  That is, every time I add
a new procmail recipe to file something away in "toread", I don't want
to make corresonding changes to my ~/.vm file.

I've tried to make VM and procmail play nice together by telling
procmail to use Emacs' lock file
   # various directories Emacs lockname format
   E_LOCK=/usr/local/lib/emacs/lock
   # E_HOME=`echo $HOME | sed 's./.!.g'`
   E_MAILDIR=`echo $MAILDIR | sed 's./.!.g'`
   E_TOREAD=${E_LOCK}/${E_MAILDIR}!toread

   :0:${E_TOREAD}!info-vm
   * ^TOinfo-vm
   toread/info-vm
but I just checked /usr/local/lib/emacs/lock while reading my
"toread/info-vm" folder and there isn't a lock file.

Anyway, the current state of things is that once in a while, VM
complains about a folder changing while I've visited it (procmail
dumped something new in there).  When that happens, I just kill my
changes and start over.  Thankfully, most of my folders don't have a
lot of messages, and with frequent saves, problems don't occur more
than a few times a week.

   Dan
------------------- message is author's opinion only ------------------
J. Daniel Smith <DanS(_at_)bristol(_dot_)com>
http://www.bristol.com/~DanS
Bristol Technology B.V.                   +31 33 450 50 50, ...51 (FAX)
Amersfoort, The Netherlands               {info,jobs}(_at_)bristol(_dot_)com