Re: VM and Procmail

1997-05-16 08:00:00
"J. Daniel Smith" <DanS(_at_)bristol(_dot_)com> writes:

Anyway, the current state of things is that once in a while, VM
complains about a folder changing while I've visited it (procmail
dumped something new in there).  When that happens, I just kill my
changes and start over.  Thankfully, most of my folders don't have a
lot of messages, and with frequent saves, problems don't occur more
than a few times a week.

Here's what I did when I used VM to read mail (for about 2.5 years, I
now use Gnus). In your ~/.vm:

;; Since I use procmail to filter my mail, I like to shove my incoming
;; mail to folders. Due to Emacs (and hence VM) locking, it's not wise
;; to view the incoming spool file, so I make procmail dump mail to
;; folders IN ALL CAPS. Then I have VM make spool files from each one of
;; those, except they'll be in all lower case.

(setq vm-spool-files
      (append
       (list
        (list vm-primary-inbox
              "/var/mail/cdh"
              "/var/mail/cdh.crash"))
       ;; Mailing list inboxes
       ;; I arrange that all my procmail maildrops are in ~/Mail/[A-Z]*
       (mapcar '(lambda (s)
                  "make the appropriate entry for vm-spool-files"
                  (list
                   (concat vm-folder-directory s)
                   (concat vm-folder-directory (upcase s))
                   (concat vm-folder-directory s ".crash")))
               ;; So I create a vm-spool-files entry for each mail drop
               (mapcar 'downcase
                       (directory-files vm-folder-directory nil "^[A-Z].+")))))

Pretty easy and I never lost a message.

Chris

--
Chris D. Halverson                         Complete Internet Solutions
PGP mail accepted, finger for public key   http://www.CompleteIS.com/~cdh/