Re: How could i get some indication of a new message ?

1997-05-19 14:24:00
On 19 May 1997 13:24:42 -0700, Rob Duncan
<rob(_dot_)duncan(_at_)Eng(_dot_)Sun(_dot_)COM>
wrote:
"ee" == era eriksson <era(_at_)iki(_dot_)fi> writes:
 ee> (I'd like to have that kludged into Emacs's display-time
 ee> instead; I've been working on that at times but never gotten
 ee> around to finishing it.)
Here's how I convinced Emacs's (19.34) display-time to be useful:
     (setq display-time-mail-file "/home/rjd/incoming/biff")
And then I have a cron job that looks like this:

Thanks, but what I had in mind was something that could tell me how
many messages there are in each folder, i.e. something like

   Mail:1  Procmail:1  Spam-Law:322

... perhaps only when I ask for it (so as not to clutter up the mode
line).

Yours could probably be improved a bit by either doing the logging
from Procmail straight to the "biff file", or running something from
your .login to only update the biff file while you're logged in -- or
simply making display-time look directly at your Procmail log.
  (I don't know, I hate the idea of running cron jobs for everything.)

Hope this helps,

/* era */

--
Defin-i-t-e-ly. Sep-a-r-a-te. Gram-m-a-r.  <http://www.iki.fi/~era/>