Re: 3.10 vs 3.11:

1997-05-20 04:53:00
Philip Guenther <guenther(_at_)gac(_dot_)edu> wrote:
Luke Davis <ldavis(_at_)voicenet(_dot_)com> writes:
Is there any real value to upgrading from 3.10 to something hivher?--If
so, what is it?

I've included the entire HISTORY entry for 3.11pre7 below, but I'll
point out a few that have made me especially glad that I've stayed
current:

     - Regression bug since v3.06, procmail -m /etc/procmailrcs
      didn't allow any arguments to be passed, fixed
     - Whole line comments among the conditions are recognised
     - Embedded empty lines in a recipe are tolerated
     - Finally fixed this mess with transparent backup to kernel
      locking methods when the spool directory is not writable
     - Severe tweaking on ^FROM_MAILER and ^FROM_DAEMON to reduce
      false matches
     - New macro ^TO_, delimits addresses more accurately than ^TO

And, not to be overlooked, the most fatal one of all:

          Fixed potential memory corruption bug for machines that have
             sizeof(off_t)>sizeof(off_t*) (has been around for ages)

Of course, this only holds if you have a machine which has these
large types.
--
Sincerely,
srb(_at_)cuci(_dot_)nl

He did a quarter of the work in *half* the time!