Re: spam from murlin

1997-05-21 06:50:00
On Wed, 21 May 1997 13:30:27 +0100 (BST),
lhecking(_at_)nmrc(_dot_)ucc(_dot_)ie (Lars Hecking) wrote:
sarg(_at_)murlin(_dot_)com writes:
 Excellent demonstration material. Wasn't caught by my spam filters
 because it came from the list.

The existence of these X-headers should trigger a red alert under all
conditions. (Mine tripped already on the "limited time offer" stuff ...)
Here are a few more:

    :0:
    * ^X-Mailer:[       ]*\
        (NetMailer|Extractor|WorldMerge|Floodgate|Aristotle|EmailBlaster)
    maps

    :0
    * ^Message-Id:[     ]*([^<  ]|<>)
    maps

That second one seems to match much of the stuff that's been coming
from Cyberpromo lately and should under no circumstances match on
anything from a correctly implemented mail program.

 Unless the Message-Id: is forged, this seems to come from murlin.com:

I don't see anything that screams of a forgery, but only the original
headers can reveal that. BTW, I ordered the original headers from the
archive server immediately when I got the spam, but the requests are
usually a bit slow (on the order of thirty minutes to a few hours).

/* era */

PS. Do your share -- complain!

--
Defin-i-t-e-ly. Sep-a-r-a-te. Gram-m-a-r.  <http://www.iki.fi/~era/>