Re: formail

1997-05-30 07:58:00
kungr(_at_)std(_dot_)teradyne(_dot_)com (Roger Kung) writes:
I am having problems trying to use formail to forward mime-encoded
messages.  I tried using the -r, -k, -b, and -x flags to try to
keep the mime-encoded part of the message but it doesn't seem to work.
The mail message that I get back, loses its attachments and I see
the following warning message:

This is  a multimedia message in MIME  format.  If you are reading this
prefix, your mail reader does  not understand MIME.  You may wish
to look into upgrading to a newer version of  your mail reader.

Do you know which flags I should use in order to keep the mail message
intact?  thanks.

If you want to the reply to contain the entire original body, then you
should use:

        formail -rkb -iMIME-Version: -iContent-

That'll preserve all the MIME headers needed to interpret the body.

I'll note that the only 'simple' way to add text to the body of a MIME
message is to wrap the entire message into a multipart message with the
first part being your text and the other part being a message/rfc822
entity containing the original message.

Philip Guenther