[v3.11pre7] $DEFAULT no longer used or settable?

1997-05-30 10:31:00
[ I sent this before I was an official member of the procmail list,
  and it must have gotten lost or scrambled as I never saw it. My
  apologies if I'm mistaken ]

We recently upgraded from,

  $ procmail.old -v
  procmail v3.05 1994/08/04 written and created by Stephen R. van den Berg
  Locking strategies: dotlocking, fcntl()

  $ procmail -v
  procmail v3.11pre7 1997/04/28 written and created by Stephen R. van den Berg
  Locking strategies:     dotlocking, fcntl()
  Default rcfile:         $HOME/.procmailrc
  Your system mailbox:    /var/mail/mdb
  $

and I immediately noticed that mail is no longer delivered to $DEFAULT
when procmail drops off the end of ~/.procmailrc. Either that, or it
is apparently no longer possible to redefine DEFAULT in ~/.procmailrc.

I believe this because at the top of my ~/.procmailrc file I have:

  MAILDIR =     $HOME/Mail/spool        # You'd better make sure it exists
  ORGMAIL =     /var/mail/$LOGNAME
  DEFAULT =     $MAILDIR/mbox.spool
  LOGFILE =     $MAILDIR/log.procmail
  #LOCKFILE=    $HOME/.lockmail
  #LOCKEXT =    +
  VERBOSE = no

and unless I explicitly add

  ## Anything that has not been delivered by now will go to $DEFAULT
  #
  ## After procmail sees the end of the rcfile, it pretends that it sees a
  ## LOCKFILE=$DEFAULT$LOCKEXT
  ## Therefore $DEFAULT is always locked.
  #
  :0 :
  $DEFAULT

to the end of ~/.procmailrc, I see this in the logfile:

  procmail: No match on "^From:.*sun1.wwb.noaa.gov"
  procmail: Locking "/var/mail/mdb.lock"
  procmail: [26787] Wed May 28 12:11:45 1997
  procmail: Assigning "LASTFOLDER=/var/mail/mdb"
  procmail: Opening "/var/mail/mdb"
  procmail: Acquiring kernel-lock
  procmail: Unlocking "/var/mail/mdb.lock"