Re: Setting up procmail to work with .forward

1997-05-31 23:46:00
"Mike A. Harris" <mharris(_at_)blackwidow(_dot_)saultc(_dot_)on(_dot_)ca>
writes:
Hi, I'm running Linux 2.0.30 and have been trying to understand
And here is my .procmailrc:

# Store linux kernel messages into a different folder.
:0:
* ^TOlinux-kernel(_at_)vger
LINUX-KERNEL

It doesn't work the way that I want, and I'm looking for some
help.  Here is what I want:

I want incoming mail from the linux-kernel list to be stored in
the incoming mail folder:

~/mail/incoming/LINUX-KERNEL

The closest that I can come is it putting the mail in my home
directory.

To quote the procmailrc(5) manpage:

BUGS
     Procmail does not support the expansion of `~'.

Instead of using "~/...." use "$HOME/....".  I.e.,

        # ^TO_ was added in procmail 3.11pre4  Use ^TO if you have
        # an older procmail.  Read the procmailrc(5) manpage for the
        # difference (look under MISCELLANEOUS)
        :0:
        * ^TO_linux-kernel(_at_)vger
        $HOME/mail/incoming/LINUX-KERNEL

Also, due to the fact that I started losing messages, I decided
to disable .forward so I renamed the file .for and then did a
"fetchmail".  Fetchmail showed 12 messages incoming, but I only
received 4 and the others were nowhere to be found.  Keep in mind
that I *disabled* .forward, logged out, logged back in, and my
mail was STILL being fiddled with by procmail.  I know this
because I had top running and watched fetchmail call sendmail
which called procmail.  This doesn't usually happen.  Do I have
to reboot to disable .forward, even if the file doesn't exist???

Does sendmail cache .forward files?  Do I need to SIGHUP sendmail
or something?  Please help because I'm losing tonnes of email.
I'm reading my email on a different machine without procmail for
the time being.

No and no.  However, many Linux systems are distributed to use procmail
as the local delivery agent.  You probably never needed that .forward
file at all, as sendmail is invoking procmail for all local mail.  As
long as procmail's default delivery is okay, to disable your
.procmailrc, move *that* file, not another one.

Philip Guenther