searched, lurked... autoresponse + forward?

1997-06-02 18:33:00
Hello all,

I've searched the archives and lurked for a while, with no hint of
an answer to this, at least to procmail newbie eyes...

I am administering a site on a virtual server which has procmail
installed (v3.11pre3  1995/05/17) and wish to set up autoreplies to
various addresses within the domain.

Currently the .forward file has two addresses in it and functions as
intended, ie. we both get a copy.

The site (sig) has a pricing guide which is available on the web, and
a couple (so far) versions which are proprietary formats (binary)
which I would like to offer in autoresponse. A recipe  for this is
welcome, since I have yet to absorb much of the reasoning behind
recipe code.

Currently, I am attempting to squash bugs in a recipe that will send
an autoreponse (text) as well as forward me (and only me) a copy of the
original mail. These I wish for webmaster and postmaster of the
domain, but the original gets forwarded to both addresses and the
autoresponse fails. I have heard mention of a logfile which contains
the secrets of success and failures, but obviously have not enabled
it as yet since I haven't one...

.procmailrc===================
SHELL=/bin/tcsh
LOGFILE=/dev/null <--is this the grabage can? Enable how?
SENDMAIL=/usr/lib/sendmail

:0 h c
* ^TO_webmaster(_at_)eccl(_dot_)ca
*!^FROM_DAEMON
*!^X-Loop:.*
| (formail -r -t -A "Precedence:junk"\
-I"From: ECCL Webmaster <webmaster(_at_)eccl(_dot_)ca>"\
-I"Subject: Thank you for your mail"\
-A"X-Loop: webmaster(_at_)eccl(_dot_)ca";\
cat $HOME/webmaster.txt)|$SENDMAIL -t

# to qualify: The above is a suggested modification of the original
canned version, which follows below.
#$HOME is where? Virtual root, or public_html?

 :0 h c
 * ^To:.postmaster
 | (formail -r -A "Precedence: junk" -A "X-Loop: postmaster(_at_)eccl(_dot_)ca";
 cat /path to virtual server/.auto_reply/postmaster.rpy) | $SENDMAIL -t

# above is the initial "canned" version offered by the host of the
domain. Both of these in "canned" form , offered error messages to
the effect of :

  553 /disk15/usr/eccl/.forward: line 1: "|IFS=' '&&exec
/opt/gnu/bin/procmail -f-||exit 75 #eccl... Unbalanced '"' 550
/disk15/usr/eccl/.forward: line 1: "|IFS=' '&&exec /opt/gnu/bin/procmail
-f-||exit 75 #eccl... Address <webmaster(_at_)eccl(_dot_)ca> is unsafe for
mailing
to programs <-- have I broken an unwritten rule here???

Forgiveness requested for what may be generic questions answered
elsewhere, and gratitude for any crumbs on the road to procmail
enlightenment...

cheers,

Todd Andrews -> tandrews(_at_)atcon(_dot_)com
http://users.atcon.com/~tandrews (home)
Eastern Canada College of Languages
http://eccl.ca (ESL, QT, RA, TOUR)