Re: Removing Addresses From Memberlist

1997-06-02 22:13:00
On Mon, 2 Jun 1997, era eriksson wrote:

On Sun, 1 Jun 1997 18:47:03 -0700 (PDT),
Dave/WebMaster <ddave(_at_)ddave(_dot_)com> wrote:
 > Presently, I'm using the recipe below to automatically add members to my
 > mailing lists. Problem is, I have no idea how to automatically remove
 > them if they send a remove request and have to manually do it. Any ideas
 > will be appreciated.

Quick and dirty: Append removes to a separate file and filter the
member list against the unsubscribe list with fgrep -xv. Purge by hand
occasionally.

Fancier: do the fgrep -xv directly on the subscriber list when you
receive the unsubscribe. Just remember to do the locking right.

I think I see what you're saying. Using the same method to automatically
create a subscription file, I can create an unsubscribe file. Whey an
unsubscribe request comes in, use formail to strip the addy and write it
to a file. Then, use fgrep -xv to compare.

Fancier still: man comm or something.

Comm seems to be pretty simple. From what I gather, you would have to
sort the incoming addys. Can `sort' do this with a constantly changing file?

Regards,

Dave/Webmaster

           Join www.cauce.org | Join Joke-L
  Hit SPAMMERS Where It Hurts | Listserv <listserv(_at_)ddave(_dot_)com>

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide
the bodies of the SPAMMERS that I killed."