Re: Multilogging

1997-06-07 10:07:00
On Fri, 6 Jun 97 14:20 EDT,
process(_at_)qz(_dot_)little-neck(_dot_)ny(_dot_)us (Eli the Bearded) wrote:
Anyone have a suggestion for sending log stuff to multiple files?

Well, you can set LOGFILE to anything you like at any point in your
.procmailrc. This is probably not what you were asking, but it could
be a starting point.

I know I can process the log with perl to create special logs, but
I would rather have it done automatically. (Particularly since not

What I do is I use a nice prefix on all my own log entries. Anything
that gets rejected as spam gets a " spamreject: (reason)" right after
the From_ line in the log, etcetera.

(Does procmail lock the logfile? If not, why?)

I haven't checked this myself, but it was discussed some time ago on
the list. I believe it was found that Procmail is not locking its log
file and a plausible explanation might be that the log's information
is only informational, i.e. not many things will break if it's not
locked (whereas I can think of some situations where having many
Procmails waiting for each other to let go of the lock on something as
trivial as the log would be a bad thing).

Hope this helps,

/* era */

--
Defin-i-t-e-ly. Sep-a-r-a-te. Gram-m-a-r.  <http://www.iki.fi/~era/>