Re: How to compose anonymous mail?

1997-06-10 11:15:00

At 11:44 AM 6/10/97 -0500, Phong Ta wrote:
[snip]
By the way, the reasons I am asking about this:
  - To understand the mechanism that spammers used to send out
    anonymous email to 10 million people! It is better to know
    and hate than just to blindly hate.

This _isn't_ how they're doing it.  Most of them simply spoof an available
SMTP server using spam-specific mail software, and launch away.  Cyberpromo
and the sort make no real attempt at "anonimizing" their posts - it's easy
to tell when they've sent a message, but they often don't take email
replies (or bounces for that matter, which is a big problem), so what does
it matter?

  - There is actually some useful applications about this.
[snip]
    and try to abuse them personally. Also, this way people will
    feel free to say anything they want.

This would be why I accept TWO-WAY anonimizers.  I believe anon.penet.fi
was established so that people could openly communicate in support forums -
such as discussing personal problems without the stigma some people would
hold over them for their problems.

Watch out though - as anon.penet.fi found out about a year ago, YOU the
operator become the target of attack when someone uses your service for
abuse.  That abuse thing is a two-way street.

If you're planning on running _multiple_ anon remailer accounts, then you
should probably look around for one of the several 'packages' that do this.
 Troll the web for "remailer + anonymous" or somesuch.

    There is also a danger in this area due to too much of
    freedom (abuse). But that's another problem!  That's why a
    moderator is also required for this kind of service.

In which case, the people don't have TRUE anonymity (well, as long as
they're running through a system that can be monitored, they have no such
thing anyway).

 Post Box 2395 / San Rafael, CA  94912-2395