Re: spurious "from" - whose bug is it?

1997-06-16 07:13:00
: :> Quoted in a message about a mail bug
: :>From appearances, they have a WIDE range of IP addresses in their DNS - I
: :suspect they register iki subdomains for members, and set up MX for those
: :users (was this mentioned?) - if you spoke nicely with your CURRENT mail

:A followup:
: That's not a message header at all.  A message header begins with
: "From ", not ">From ".  In fact, that > was placed there precisely to
: prevent that line from being recognized as the beginning of a header.

Another followup:
Actually, I'd imagine that one of the MTAs between him and the list put
that in.  So it probably was a message header.

Watch; I'll put 'From '... at the beginning of the following line, and it'll
come out as '>From '...

Sorry, you're both incorrect.  It was NOT a header.  I just used the
word "header" in quotes because the buggy mail tool treated it as a
header.  And the '>' was there because _I_ was quoting the received
data.  I have found out since posting the query that it is a bug in
Sun's mailtool, to treat every "From" in column one as the start of a
new message.  No human could look twice at "From appearances, they" and
think it is the start of a message header!