Procmail filter for outgoing mail

1997-06-23 20:06:00
I'm trying to write an outgoing filter that goes between my MUA and
a second filter written by Tim Luoma that in turn evokes sendmail,
and I'm not having much luck.

I'm using #! /usr/local/procmail in the first line and thus making
my procmailrc file executable.

A couple of problems.  My MUA passes addresses in $@ to the prog it
pipes to, which hitherto on my system has (successfully) been
sendmail and, (latterly, also successfully) Tim's filter.  Obviously
I need to preserve $@ in my own filter and pass it on.  But alas
stuff like:

SHELL=/bin/sh
ARGS=$@

| TimsFilter $ARGS

...doesn't seem to work.  $@ seems to be empty by the time it gets
to the assignment.  Or maybe procmail just doesn't know how to
handle the commandline args string.

The second thing I can't get right is probably simpler.  I know I
can assign stuff like:

DEFAULT=<filename>

..where <filename> includes things like /dev/null or even |

But what I want to do is set up DEFAULT to be TimsFilter -- ie, an
executable .  Something along the lines of:

DEFAULT ="| TimsFilter"

... but of course this doesn't work.

Can anybody help....??

el bid