Re: LOG bug in 3.11pre[47] (was: Re: Procmail filter for outgoing mail)

1997-06-25 00:32:00
[Cc:ing this to the list where this was originally discussed.]

On Wed, 25 Jun 1997 00:09:52 +0200,
srb(_at_)cuci(_dot_)nl (Stephen R. van den Berg) wrote:
Executive summary: LOG="$@" doesn't log anything even though "$@"
is nonempty.
This is known and documented:
<...>

Ooops.

The reason is that the $@ expansion tries to preserve all
arguments, regardless of LINEBUF. That only works on command lines.
I could, of course, make an exception for variable assignments, but
haven't done so (yet).
Do you have a functional need for this functionality, or are you
just using it to debug your script?

Wasn't me who needed it actually; a guy on the list was trying to get
it to work and I ran a few tests and simply expected LOG= to work.
  In the name of fewer surprises, I think probably it should.

/* era */

--
Defin-i-t-e-ly. Sep-a-r-a-te. Gram-m-a-r.  <http://www.iki.fi/~era/>
 * Enjoy receiving spam? Register at <http://www.iki.fi/~era/spam.html>