1997-07-10 06:31:00
In the past few days I've seen at least two different email messages
that are have an "X-Priority: Bulk" header, I don't know what MUA is
generating these messages, as there is no X-Mailer: header.

The procmail-related issue is that I prevent autoreplies (and a number
of other things) to messages with a "Precedence: bulk" header via
procmail's special ^FROM_DAEMON regexp.  Since I'd really rather not
add additional checking for a non-standard X-Priority: header, I guess
I'm going to add something like
   :0Ehfw
near the beginning of my ~/.procmailrc.

Of course, I've notified the senders of these messages that they
should use the standard Precedence: header, but I'm not holding out
much hope of things changing anytime soon.

Or perhaps I've got this all wrong, and the X-Priority: header is
intended to be something a bit different from Precedence: (which
technically is a suggestion to the MTA about how it should relay the
message - i.e., if the connection is busy, send "first-class" messages
before "bulk" or "list").  I can see that X-Priority: could be more
intended for human consumption (this is an unimportant message).

   Dan
------------------- message is author's opinion only ------------------
J. Daniel Smith <DanS(_at_)bristol(_dot_)com>
http://www.bristol.com/~DanS
Bristol Technology B.V.                   +31 33 450 50 50, ...51 (FAX)
Amersfoort, The Netherlands               {info,jobs}(_at_)bristol(_dot_)com