WARNINGS in procmail.man

1997-07-10 17:04:00

Could anyone kindly explain what following paragraph
specifically suggesting?

WARNINGS
     You should create a shell script that uses  lockfile(1)  be-
     fore invoking your mail shell on any mailbox file other than
     the system mailbox (unless of course, your mail  shell  uses
     the  same  lockfiles (local or global) you specified in your
     rcfile).

Is it only referring to root user?
Or does it apply to all the users?

What kind of shell script should I create?
When should I execute it?

How could I know what kind of lockfiles mail shell is using?

What would happen if I did not follow this WARNING?

The reason I am asking is that
my spool got temporary unaccessable from shell.
Could not even ls -la (no such directory or file).
Although I could see mails in spool through POP server.

It was recovered after I mailed ISP support.
Though not sure whether ISP did anything to recover or not
because I got no repsonse from them yet.

I have no idea whether this trouble is related to the WARNING or not,
but I am curious what it is suggeting.

TIA

_/_/_/      Mitsuru FURUKAWA      _/_/_/
_/_/_/        Tokyo, Japan        _/_/_/
_/_/_/     mailto:furu(_at_)009(_dot_)com    _/_/_/
_/_/_/  http://www.009.com/furu/  _/_/_/