Re: Accepting posts from subscribed members only

1997-07-23 20:36:00
How does one make an e-mailing list which accepts posts
from subscribed members only?

Presumably you have something which checks incoming mail headers against a
list of known subscribers.

This is a rather simple solution, at least to me, but I don't think I've
gotten everything in mind. It's just something I had to throw out.

:0
* ? fgrep -isf maillist
{
  :0 b
  * condition
  ! `cat maillist`
}

For those of you who may not understand this, here's a small
explanation... The incoming message is searched in the header, and check
if it's from the mailing list. If so, then check on the condition, if it's
a private mail or for the list, and if that's true, send that message body
to those on the list, via the cat command.

That's from my reading all the stuff on here. I'm hoping I've got it
right. If not, I appreciate feedback. Something like this could get rid of
some of the spams we've gotten through the list, if non-members are able
to post, while not knowing what's really going on in the list.

Why isn't this practice used in this list? I have seen it being
used on many other lists.

Because some folks don't want it to be, including the admin, apparently.
This allows folks to post from other accounts when they think of a procmail
question from a different group

It would be loads helpful if someone did this practice. I've bounced
several spams back since I joined. Making it a subscriber-only list would
cut down on the unwanted posts.

--
Homepage: http://members.iglou.com/rsg0910

Sez who that a deaf person can't have fun on the net? No ears required!

Junk emailers beware: $500 fee charged for each junk and spam ad.
  -Sending the junk email indicates acceptance of these terms.