Re: Flags to procmail in sendmail.cf

1997-07-25 07:54:00
Ralph Sims <ralphs(_at_)halcyon(_dot_)com> writes:
I have seend the following syntax used in a sendmail.cf file when
procmail is used as the local delivery agent:

F=SAw5:|/@glDFMPhsfn

However, a stock sendmail install sets the flags as this:

F=lsDFMAw5:/|@qSPfhn9

The only difference being the '9'.

Any thoughts on why the difference and if one might be preferred
over the other?  If this is an FAQ, please email me the pointer
so that I might be spared further embarassment.

Since the '9' flag tells sendmail to do 7bit->8bit MIME conversion on
text messages (and others?  I forget), it seems like a good idea to me.
sendmail versions from 8.7 to 8.8.4 have a security hole in the code
that does this, so if you're running one of those versions you should
upgrade before adding the '9' flag to _any_ mailer.

Philip Guenther