Re: formail -- order of arguments matters????

1997-07-26 17:32:00
        Author: dattier(_at_)wwa(_dot_)com (David W. Tamkin)
        Date: Sat, 26 Jul 1997 15:46:22 -0500 (CDT)

When an option takes an argument of its own, the argument must appear next
after that option letter.  -x takes an argument; the thing following -x
has to be that argument.  You can't insert other options in between.

[snip]

It's more of a Unix question, actually.

Well, yes, but then again, formail is a UNIX program, and so is procmail....

Most of the UNIX programs it doesn't matter, but Eli made a good point:

For *flags* they should not. For *actions* they should.  "find
. -name foo -print" and "find .  -print -name foo" are very
different, for example.

I thank you both for the explanation, it makes much more sense now.

HOWEVER I'd like this to go into formail's man page... it would help folks
figure it out... cost me about 30 minutes (duh!)

TjL