Re: How to locate the version of sendmail

1997-07-31 14:56:00
At 11:52 PM, 30 July 1997, Professional Software Engineering - Lists account
<lists(_at_)professional(_dot_)org> wrote:
At 09:42 PM 7/30/97 -0700, John Gianni wrote:
According to procmail digests, I want to at least make sure the sendmail is
version 8.8.5 or better.

For what, exactly?  8.8.6 is (AFAIK) the current _release_ version.  Now, I
run 8.8.5 currently, but I don't see that you should have any concern with
running a slightly older version - and I don't recall any recent mention of
procmail dependancies on the current rev or so of sendmail.  Enlighten me.

The normal reason for a new version of sendmail to be released is to fix
security holes, so it's usually a good idea to be running the latest
version. The holes fixed in 8.8.6 were pretty obscure, and don't affect
many people, but it's a bad idea to run anything older than 8.8.5.

--
Aaron Schrab     aarons(_at_)execpc(_dot_)com
http://www.execpc.com/~aarons/