Re: default LINEBUF value

1997-08-05 09:42:00
Mitsuru Furukawa <furu(_at_)009(_dot_)com> writes:
My method worked with DEFAULT variable as follows,
so problem must reside somewhere else...

:0cw:default.lock
* $ !? test -f default
| echo "$DEFAULT" > default

If you examine the procmailrc manpage, you'll note that it lists
fourteen variables (among them DEFAULT but not LINEBUF) whose values
are preset in the environment by procmail, plus some additional ones
like IFS, ENV, PWD, and PATH which come out of the top of config.h.
Following this is a list of all of procmail's magic variables,
including those fourteen.  The idea is that while procmail has thirty
magic variables, only fourteen of them are put into the environment by
procmail.  The others may have default values, but they're 'input
only': if what you're doing depends on one of the others having a
certain value, then you should just go ahead and set it to that value.
I know of only two ways to find out what value procmail is using by
default: a) check the manpage (the manpages should show the correct
default for the machine), or b) fire up your favorite debugger and hope
that no one stripped the procmail binary.

Philip Guenther