Re: Servers That Strip X-Loop:

1997-08-06 10:28:00
Quoting Paul O Bartlett (pobart(_at_)access(_dot_)digex(_dot_)net):
On Wed, 6 Aug 1997, era eriksson wrote:
On Wed, 6 Aug 1997 10:30:01 -0400 (EDT),
Paul O Bartlett <pobart(_at_)access(_dot_)digex(_dot_)net> wrote:
 >     Has anyone come up with a method of dealing with this situation,
 > i.e., with ill-mannered list servers which do obnoxious things to mail
 > headers?  (One mail server stripped out MIME headers, which caused
 > unpleasantness on a non-English, non-USASCII list.)

Did ! ^FROM_MAILER not catch this?

I am not sure whether FROM_MAILER

I don't think ^FROM_MAILER would have caught it, but ^FROM_DAEMON
would have caught either the "Precedence: bulk" or the "owner-xxx".
Another thing you might try is having sendmail send back an error
status rather than actually mailing a response. Or, you could use
a mechanism similar to that used by vacation programs: only send
one reply per day or somesuch. The first option, generating an
SMTP bounce, is probably your best choice (I've never seen a
mailing list remail sendmail bounces...though I'm sure someone
out there could manage it. ;-)

--
Michael Stone, Sysadmin, ITRI     PGP: key 1024/76556F95 from mit keyserver,
mstone(_at_)itri(_dot_)loyola(_dot_)edu            finger, or email with