Re: Invalid message-ids

1997-08-11 12:05:00
lists(_at_)professional(_dot_)org (Lists account) wrote:
"\ " - one space      (Normal regexp for this is "\s", but egrep doesn't
recognize it -- "\ " IS valid though, as would be a non-escaped space.
[:space:] should work too.)

\s and [:space:] are character classes. They match a single whitespace
char, and not specifically a space. Procmail does not support either.

"\<" - Match the empty string BEFORE a word (see man procmailrc)
"\>" - Match the empty string AFTER a word (see man procmailrc)

Nope. In vi and some greps, yes, not in procmail. Both are shortcuts for
(basically):

        (^|[^a-zA-Z0-9_]|$)

The important distinctions to note here is that while \< \> are
interchangible and *not* zero-width (or "empty string") they will
match line end conditions. (I have heard tell that $ and ^ are not
zero-width in their procmail implementations, but rather match the
newlines. The only way I have found to demonstrate this might be
the case is to have several of them in a row, which causes the
match to fail.)

* ^Message-ID:\ +<\ *>

The backslashes are not needed. (They are harmless, though.)

Elijah
------
I /dev/null dupes, no need to CC list posts.  It is not my responsibility to
prove to you my mail is not spam, if mail to you bounces it will not be resent.