Re: misc lock/write problems

1997-08-11 19:59:00
At 05:11 PM 8/11/97 -0700, Pete Kelly wrote thusly:

RE:
Something to keep in mind - a vast majority of the people participating on
the Procmail list are likely using UNIX based mailers.  Rich-text is an
"enhanced" mail format, and terminals don't display it well.  If anything,
it clutters.

In general, MOST mail apps don't support rich text (Eudora and Netscape are
the only two I'm aware of that do).  Eudora is a fine program, but richtext
can get annoying FAST, especially when other users go to reply to your
message, and CANNOT SIMPLY TURN OFF RICHTEXT in their reply.  Yuck.  Then
we have to copy and paste - and then the message isn't threaded anymore.

Eudora's richtext support is somewhat buggy, and can slow down the editor
considerably.

The Eudora-formatted reply indentations don't appear as standard ">"
indents under non-richtext mailers, which can lead to further confusion.

Please keep these points in mind before using richtext.

Anyway:

With this .promailrc file:

.procmailrc
    ^

#!/bin/sh

Really?  You plan to run your procmailrc as a shell script?  Lose this
line, it is inappropriate for the type of file.

# default procmail definitions and recipes go here.  This runs as root!

Is procmail running as the local delivery agent, or are you launching it
from your .forward?  I find that procmail runs as the user once it is
running the user .rc files -- set a variable to `id` and output it to the
log when procmail is running to see this.

Anyone here is welcome to elaborate on this though.

#  chmod 544 for normal operation
#  REMEMBER to chmod prior to editing!

chmod once.  You shouldn't need to again.  Is this the file mode for the
procmailrc or not?  I prefer 644 - I like to explicitly have read and write
permissions, and exec isn't something I need on the file.

MAILDIR=/var/spool/mail

I'd like to point out that MAILDIR is where your mailbox files are supposed
to go, not where the spool is.  Unless you have write permissions here, my
guess is that right here is your biggest problem, especially given that all
the following variables are relative to this.  YOU, the user, cannot write
to the mail spool directory at will.  This should be something like:

MAILDIR=$HOME/Mail

(and make sure the directory Mail exists - 700 is a good permission)

DEFAULT=$MAILDIR/pete
LOGFILE=$MAILDIR/pete.log

LOCKFILE=$MAILDIR/pete.lock

One lockfile, for everything or something?  I don't think you should be
setting this.  Procmail will create it for each lockfile it creates, as
needed (the ':' switch on the rule that tells procmail to use a lockfile) -
in fact, it should be overriding what you're setting it to right here -
your use of it outside of recipe bodies could be problematic.

and these file permissions:

for /var/spool/mail
drwxr-xr-x   2 mail     mail         1024 Aug 11 15:17 mail/

755 is good - except YOU the user can't write here (you aren't 'mail').
But then, you shouldn't anyway.

-rw-------   1 pete     mail            0 Aug 11 15:18 pete
-rw-r-----   1 pete     mail         1476 Aug 11 15:18 pete.log

These don't belong where they are.

 Post Box 2395 / San Rafael, CA  94912-2395