Re: Something (MAYBE) worth looking at.....

1997-08-25 13:03:05

You can also forward illegal money-making schemes to the IRS at:

net-abuse(_at_)nocs(_dot_)insp(_dot_)irs(_dot_)gov

Does this really work?  They do not acknowledge receipt.  Also, about
three weeks ago, this address resulted in a three-machine mail loop.

Telnetting to SMTP .... [lots of good technical stuff snipped].

What I meant was, does the IRS really use such reports to determine they
should audit someone?  Or do they have a disinterested human clerk (or a
mailbot like procmail whose unpleasant job description includes the
discarding of "Unsolicited Complaining Email"  ?

I've often read that the IRS wants to receive e-mail that claims someone
made a lot of money.  I've occasionally read that they like to receive any
spam, allegedly because spammers underreport income.  (That's probably
true--if they lie about their addresses, why shouldn't they lie about
their income??

But I have not seen any empirical evidence that forwarding spam to
net-abuse(_at_)nocs(_dot_)insp(_dot_)irs(_dot_)gov accomplishes anything.
Actually ASKING at
that address whether the above rumors were true got no response.