Re: install questions for BSDI UNix

1997-09-04 17:10:31

On Thu, 4 Sep 1997, Rich Dierlam wrote:

   Running BSDI Unix 2.01
   Sendmail 8.81

Ugrade to (at least) 8.8.5 if you value your root account on that machine.

   procmail 3.11pre7

Im reading the advanced sheet from the tar file.
There is a line that states "move your local mail delivery agent"- now
would that be sendmail??? its located at /usr/sbin/sendmail

I don't know anything about procmail, but i can tell you for sure that
sendmail is a transport-agent (MTA).  Your local delivery agent (MDA),
assuming out-of-the-box BSDI 2.01, is...

Mlocal,         P=/usr/libexec/mail.local, F=lsDFMAw5:/|@qrmn9, S=10/30,
R=20/40

...on a single line in sendmail.cf.

I also noticed that I would need to change the sendmail.cf file, which I
have done for virtual domains, but I cant seem to find any Mlocal in
that file.

It's there.  Search the file for the string 'Mlocal'.

   Is there any good books out on the market that discuss installing

You got me.

procmail?? or am I making this seem to hard to do??

It's non trivial.  On a busy (linux) mailserver, it drove up my load
average quite a bit, just by replacing my MDA with procmail.  I don't know
what happens if you also run several tests against every email that
arrives.  On the other hand, i'm clueless when it comes to procmail, so
ask an expert about what to expect.

I also need to install it globally.  In my situation i want to implement a
spam filter for a domain with about 100 users.  If it works ok, i want to
try it on a server that has thousands of users.  In both cases the users
have no shell accounts or home dirs, and there have been few hints from
the FAQs regarding that situation.

Bill