Re: Procmail and POP mailbox

1997-09-04 19:41:00
On Thu, 4 Sep 1997, Professional Software Engineering - Lists account wrote:

I'm wondering how I would go about processing mail with Procmail, and
*LEAVING* selected messages in the inbox for retrieval via a POP mail client.

Currently, I forward all messages for reading into a separate POP mailbox
(an account on another service).  This has worked reasonably well,
excepting when the remote mailbox is inaccessible for one reason or another
(network problems, or the server is down).  However, this is an uneccessary
waste of bandwidth, and I'd like to just fetch the mail from the server
which processes the mail -- if I can...

        I'm not sure about all your questions, but I'm fairly certain
procmail is invoked before your mail is delivered to your spool file, from
which your pop server would serve it up, thus any filtering would be
performed before your pop client could pull it down.
        As far as having certain messages NOT be forwarded, anything that
does not match a filtering recipe is delivered to $DEFAULT (which defaults
to $ORGMAIL, which itself defaults to your spool file.)

It has become neccessary to implement anti-spamming measures.
Remove no-spam. from my email address to reply.