Re: duplicates and delivery problems

1997-09-05 07:10:41

I don't want to put duplicates into a seperate folder, I'd rather
delete them.  At the same time however, I'm worried that a mail
might be incorrectly deleted because of the delivery problem /
requeue situation described above.

I keep backups of every non-duplicate.  So if this happened to me, when
a requeued message gets lost (as happened yesterday--see the posts about
"Modifying a message..."  then I can fetch the message from backup.

Is there a way to safegaurd against this so I can throw away
dupes with confidence that only dupes are being deleted?

The problem is, how do you know there's a message to fetch from backup?

Also, how high can I safely set the "maxlen" argument to
formail -D to?  8192 seems too low to me, and we have plenty
of disk space here.  Thanks in advance.

A duplicate will generally arrive within a couple of days of the first
copy.  Count the message IDs in msgid.cache and compare with your average
daily count.  8192 bytes holds a LOT of message IDs.