Re: procmail

1997-09-11 19:23:34
At 07:36 PM 9/11/97 -0400, Gregory Sutter wrote:

[snip - wherein I mentioned that sendmail anti-spam/relay rules might be
appropriate]

If he's already paid for the "privilege" of using post.office, then I
don't think sendmail is really an option.

That's odd, given that the post clearly shows an intent to use a *nix box
to run procmail to attempt to foil relyaying (which of course, it can't
really do -- if the message isn't for local delivery, procmail shouldn't
end up running on it, and the spammer can still be using sendmail to relay
- unless it has the anti-spam/relay rules.  Let us not forget that the NT
box needs to have SMTP somehow blocked as well).  Where exactly do you
think procmail is getting the message from?

If he's running on a *nix box, he sure isn't using his NT post.office
program to recieve mail from the outside world, or did I really miss
something?

He further mentioned that to get the privledge of a newer version of
post.office to address the problem (maybe) was $5 * 2000 boxes = $10K).

Sendmail definatley looks like an option to me.  If procmail is employed,
it would probably be mostly for the purpose of routing the mail without
necessitating individual mailbox configurations on the *nix box, though you
should be able to accomplish this more effectively using sendmail rules
(namely all those nasty BCC and listmail problems).

 Post Box 2395 / San Rafael, CA  94912-2395