Re: permissions

1997-09-11 22:59:18
"Gjermund S\xF8rseth" <gjermund(_at_)nextel(_dot_)no> writes:
Procmail doesn't seem to acknolege that some mail administrators actually
know what they are doing, and sets the permissions to -rw------ no matter what.

The UMASK setting doesn't even allow you to specify that the u+x bit
is to be set on a new mailbox (which tells procmail to leave the permissions
alone).  It's the same for the directory the mailbox is in. Procmail
sets it to drwx------ when it creates it no matter what UMASK is. Wonder
if UMASK is used at all.

It is.  However the permissions on $DEFAULT are handled before procmail
even opens the .procmailrc, so changing the umask there will have no
effect on the mailspool.

I want my mail system to look like this:

  /bla/bla/bla/user        drwxrwsr-x  user mail
  /bla/bla/bla/user/mbox   -rwxrw----  user mail

This allows me to have a program that fixes corrupt mailboxes be
set-gid to "mail", for example.  Can you do this with procmail? No. I have
two choices - editing the source or run a program each night that changes
the permissions.

You've brought up a deep philosophical question: if you change the
source, is it still 'procmail'?  Given how minor changes would be, and
that they would be contained to one function in one file, I would say
that it would still be 'procmail' in essence, even though it's behavior
would be changed.  So yes, you can do this with procmail.

Anyway, you have a non-standard setup which is by design not completely
paranoid, and you're complaining that it takes some work to convinced
procmail that this is really what you want?  Sounds like a feature to
me.  Just edit screenmailbox() and be done with it.

Philip Guenther