Re: permissions

1997-09-11 10:38:59

   Ed McGuire writes:

   > - Die Rechte der Mailbox (angemounteten Partition)
   > aendert sich von
   > -rw-rw----   1 hlehmann mail  1127 Sep 11 07:33 hlehmann
   > auf
   > -rw-------   1 hlehmann mail  1517 Sep 11 07:34 hlehmann

   It seems that, when the UMASK environment variable is more restrictive
   than the mode of the mailbox, procmail changes the mode of the
   mailbox.

   The default value of UMASK is 077.  If you want to preserve the group
   access to your mailbox, I think you can set UMASK to 007 in the
   rcfile:

   UMASK=007

   Regards, Ed

Procmail doesn't seem to acknolege that some mail administrators actually
know what they are doing, and sets the permissions to -rw------ no matter what.

The UMASK setting doesn't even allow you to specify that the u+x bit
is to be set on a new mailbox (which tells procmail to leave the permissions
alone).  It's the same for the directory the mailbox is in. Procmail
sets it to drwx------ when it creates it no matter what UMASK is. Wonder
if UMASK is used at all.

I want my mail system to look like this:

   /bla/bla/bla/user        drwxrwsr-x  user mail
   /bla/bla/bla/user/mbox   -rwxrw----  user mail

This allows me to have a program that fixes corrupt mailboxes be
set-gid to "mail", for example.  Can you do this with procmail? No. I have
two choices - editing the source or run a program each night that changes
the permissions.

--
Gjermund Sørseth