Re: Newbie Question: AutoResponder to AutoResponder Loop?

1997-09-11 11:53:24
W. Wesley Groleau x4923 wrote:
->
-> > > My concern is that somehow, someone that has an autoresponder (AR) of
-> > > their own will send me a message, it will be valid, my program will
-> > > respond back, their program will respond back, my program will respond
-> > > back, etc.,etc...
-> > > I thought the X-Loop would prevent this, but I am not so sure.
->
-> What happened to me was that an autoresponse "bounced".  The bounce
-> message still had the X-Loop, but it was not part of the header, since the
-> other guy adds a header and quotes the "bounced" message.  I can also
-> check the body for my X-Loop to fix that.  (Or does someone see a
-> potential problem with that?)

No, after filtering IN the mailing list(s) I am subscribed to, I check all
daemon sent email for my "X-Loop:" header in the body.

#
# Check "Daemon"-sent email:
#
:0
* ^FROM_DAEMON
{
        #
        # Does the email contain my "X-Loop:" somewhere in it?
        # If so, trash it:
        #
        :0BHD
        /dev/null

        #
        # If the email does NOT contain my "X-Loop:" in it, then
        # filter it IN as it could be interesting:
        #
        :0E
        $DEFAULT
}

However, even with inserting a "Precedence: junk" line, a "X-Loop:" header
check, and checking incoming email to see if it's daemon generated, I've
still run into loops!

One place in particular sent an autoresponse that stripped out the body
and headers, had no "Precedence: " header and no information from the
header that it was daemon-generated.  One can only do so much :^(.  Some
people I know have recipes set up to only accept/autoreply to a particular
address X amount of times, after that, they get dropped to "/dev/null" or
just stored in a file (but not autoreplied to).

Lates!
Tim <bodysurf(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com>
mailto:bodysurf(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com
Finger bodysurf(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com for my PGP public key (Bits 1024/KeyID
09DA5C49)
PGP Key FingerPrint (09/03/94):  4C97 F1FA 7055 6891   49D1 ADF2 DD63 0C15
====================> Please PGP encrypt your email <=====================