re SpamBeGone

1997-09-11 07:15:54
  I have to agree with the recent comments about Spam Be Gone, I found it
tends to be inaccurate. I first set it up about a week ago, followed
the directions and trained it on several (15 to 20) messages. One from
each list we get, and the remainder from my logs of SPAM messages.
  The first day it missed about half the SPAM, and nailed about 1/3 of the
real messages. So I tuned the key-words a bit, trained it on about 100
more SPAMs and trained it on all the good messages it nailed.
  Since then it has nailed every SPAM received, however the second day it
nailed about 20% of the good messages, which I then trained it to like.
Since then it has been nailing about 10% of the good messages, despite
continual training. I also added every list to the address book, and it
still nails posts from this list, and my wife's lace list.
  I even went through my entire log of SPAM and trained it on every one
that didn't come out a 5 (bad). Being the kind of person I am, I also
checked after I trained it, and found four SPAMs, the despite my training
it that they were bad (5) came out as not so bad (4). I don't dare kill
4's as far too much of my mail (like this list) ends up as 4's.
  For me, this program is not ready for prime time. If the comments are
correct that it only learns on Subject and From headers, it's not even
worth trying. Since lists use the TO and CC headers to be identified, and
there are several excellent other headers (X-Advertisement comes to mind)
that would be assests for killing SPAM.

Ralph Lindberg N7BSN       <n7bsn(_at_)callsign(_dot_)net>
RV and Camping FAQ <http://kendaco.telebyte.net/rlindber/rv/>
Just because MS-Windows holds 90% of the market doesn't mean it's
superior. Remember 90% of all animal's are insects.