very simple junk filter

1997-09-17 15:01:35
Seeing several junk mail filters posted recently, varying from the
simple to the complex, I thought I would also share my own.

I junk whatever comes from my ISP but is not addressed to my domain or
to one of the mailing lists I subscribe to.

What I value about this approach is its simplicity.  it catches nearly
all junk mail but requires maintenance only when I change my mailing
list subscriptions.

I think that the maintenance effort for a more complex filter
(especially a dynamic one) would cost me more time than it costs me to
delete the 1% of junk that still gets by.

The conditions are even relatively easy to read.

  * ^(received):.*psi\.com
  * ! ^((apparently-)?to|cc):.*(i2|intellection)\.com
  * ! ^(to|cc):.*(pdp-?8-lovers|procmail|sunshine|info-pdp11)

Comments or suggestions welcome.

Regards, Ed

--
DEAR ABBY: Do you think about dying much? -- CURIOUS

DEAR CURIOUS: No, it's the last thing I want to do.