Re: unknown mailer error 127

1997-09-18 23:26:49
On Fri, 19 Sep 1997 06:08:56 +0900,
Mitsuru Furukawa <furu(_at_)009(_dot_)com> wrote:
<... from private followup about compilation problem ...>
The procmail runs OK from command line (in other word locally?), so
I am assuming that sendmail is trying to run it on another machine.
Does it make sense?

Yes, it seems likely.

If so is there anyway I could find out the appriate ARCHITECTURE
for that "machine"?

1. Try

  nslookup -q=mx machine

This should tell you the name of the machine which processes mail for
the machine you're asking about. You can then try to log in to that
machine if you have shell access there, which is something you need to
have in order to compile Procmail on it.

2. If you don't have nslookup (doh) or don't understand what it says,
try adding this to your .forward

"|uname -a >/full/path/to/home/.uname.out"

i.e. this should be there in +addition+ to what else you do.
Otherwise this will lose your mail thoroughly, since it reads the mail
but doesn't save it anywhere. You might want to save a copy of all
incoming mail to a safety mailbox, too, just in case. Like so:

    /full/path/to/home/safetymailbox
    |"uname -a >/full/path/to/home/.uname.out"
    |"IFS=' '&& exec /usr/local/bin/procmail -Yf- || exit 75"

If you try this, it is +very+ +important+ that the file safetymailbox
exists and is writable. (man 5 forward if you have that -- I don't
seem to have this manual page on systems with newish versions of
sendmail, is that correct?)

Try the uname command (and/or read the manual) to see what you should
expect to find in the file .uname.out

/* era */

--
 Paparazzi of the Net: No matter what you do to protect your privacy,
  they'll hunt you down and spam you. <http://www.iki.fi/~era/spam/>