Re: Where can I find a sample recipe

1997-09-22 08:59:43
"Mack Kusumoto, San Jose" <MKusumoto(_at_)unilab(_dot_)com> writes:
I am just starting to look at creating some of my own recipes where I
have a single email come in with multiple users in the To and CC lines
of which most are to the same domain name.  The recipe is to bounce have
of the To recipients to their own email address outside of the domain
server with the rest coming through to the domain server where MS
Exchange will sort and deliver the rest...

This is a mail routing problem, which means you need to ignore the
header completely and instead figure out what to do the message based
on the envelope recipients (i.e., the addresses given via the SMTP RCPT
To:  command).  This requires close integration with your MTA.  If you
use sendmail, you should consider just using a "virtuser" database to
do this, as that'll be the most efficient method possible.  If virtuser
doesn't provide enough configurability then you should use the
mailtable to feed the message to the procmail mailer, and then in the
procmailrc thus specified, decide what do with the message by examining
the value "$1".

Actually, if this is all just for a 'non-virtual' domain (i.e., mail
would otherwise just be delivered locally), then you should just create
alias file entries.

If the above doesn't make sense, then you'll need to consider the
following questions: what is your MTA (sendmail?  qmail?  smail?)?
Is this for a 'virtual' domain?

Philip Guenther